April 30, 2010

Snow, Wind and Rain!


Today Jason and I headed up to the Weber River by Coalville. By the time we parked it was getting closer to 3:00. We ended up at the “Bridge”, there were no other vehicles and we really didn’t want to deal with any crowds. The clouds were dark and looking pretty scary. The water levels looked pretty good, little higher than normal, but not murky. I set Jas up with a Chartreuse C.J., size 14 and dropped a Blondie (sow bug, size 16). I started off with a size 16 Green Arrow and dropping size 20, BWO-Barr’s emerger.

Right off the bat we were both catching fish, mainly whitefish. Jason is now known as, “The Whitefish Slayer”!! It seems where ever we go he only catches whitefish, if it be the Madison to the Weber, they just seem to love him! Jason seemed to catch all of his fish with Blondie and Brunet sow bugs, it seemed better for him to stay with a single fly set up, 2 heavy sinkers and keeping his rig on the bottom. I used a few different set ups. I stuck with the Green Arrow as my attractor fly and dropped everything from BWO-Barr’s emergers, sows bugs and a red serendipity. I caught my 17” brown with the serendipity and my smaller trout with the Green Arrow and sow’s. I too was heavy, heavy, being on the bottom. All sets seemed to be on the lighter side, but I would say the day was a fair to good day of fishing. The weather played the fair part of our trip from snow, wind and rain. The sun did break out for a little while and that’s when we seemed to get into the fish. Until next time, go out and wet your waders!!

1 comment:

  1. you are brave! (or stupid!) nik
    see ya next weekend!

    ReplyDelete